Insights and Resources
Division of Examinations’ continued focus on digital asset securities
FINANCIAL REPORTING INSIGHTS |
Authored by RSM US LLP
The SEC Division of Examinations recently issued a Risk Alert to provide observations made by Division staff during examinations that may assist investment advisers, broker-dealers, national securities exchanges and transfer agents in enhancing their compliance practices regarding digital asset securities. In addition, the Risk Alert provides transparency about areas of focus for the Division’s future examinations.
Future examinations of investment advisers managing digital asset securities will focus on regulatory compliance associated with the following, among other matters:
- Portfolio management policies, procedures and practices regarding:
- Classification of digital assets managed on behalf of clients
- Due diligence on digital assets
- Evaluation and mitigation of risks related to trading venues and trade execution or settlement facilities
- Management of risks and complexities associated with “forked” and “airdropped” digital assets
- Fulfillment of their fiduciary duty with respect to investment advice
- Making and keeping accurate books and records, given that digital asset trading platforms vary in reliability and consistency with regard to order execution, settlement methods and post-trade recordation and notification
- Practices related to the custody of digital assets
- Disclosures to investors regarding the unique risks associated with digital assets
- Valuation methodologies for pricing client portfolios, and related disclosures
- How the investment adviser calculates its regulatory assets under management and characterizes the digital assets in the pooled vehicles it manages
Future examinations of broker-dealers will focus on regulatory compliance associated with the following, among other matters:
- Safekeeping of funds and operations, including operations that are unique to the safety and custody of digital assets securities
- Anti-money laundering procedures, controls and documentation regarding digital asset securities
- Due diligence performed, and disclosures made, by broker-dealers related to the offering of digital asset securities
- Existence and disclosures of conflicts of interest and the compliance policies and procedures to address them
- The evaluation of activities of FINRA-member broker-dealer registered persons to determine whether such activity should be subjected to the approval, supervision and recordation of the broker-dealer
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2021-03-17.
2020 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of the RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.