INSIGHTS AND RESOURCES
Presentation and disclosure of contributed nonfinancial assets
FINANCIAL REPORTING INSIGHTS |
Authored by RSM US LLP
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) recently issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2020-07, Not-for-Profit Entities (Topic 958): Presentation and Disclosures by Not-for-Profit Entities for Contributed Nonfinancial Assets. This ASU requires a not-for-profit entity to present contributed nonfinancial assets in the statement of activities as a line item that is separate from contributions of cash or other financial assets. The term nonfinancial asset includes fixed assets, use of fixed assets or utilities, materials and supplies, intangible assets, services and unconditional promises of those assets.
A not-for-profit entity also is required to disclose contributed nonfinancial assets received disaggregated by category that depicts the type of contributed nonfinancial assets. For each category of contributed nonfinancial asset recognized, a not-for-profit entity is required to disclose:
- Qualitative information about whether the contributed nonfinancial assets were either monetized or utilized during the reporting period. If utilized, a not-for-profit entity also is required to disclose a description of the programs or other activities in which those assets were used.
- The not-for-profit’s policy, if any, about monetizing rather than utilizing contributed nonfinancial assets.
- A description of any donor restrictions associated with the contributed nonfinancial assets.
- A description of the valuation techniques and inputs used to arrive at a fair value measure, in accordance with the requirements in Topic 820, “Fair Value Measurement,” of the FASB’s Accounting Standards Codification, at initial recognition.
- The principal market (or most advantageous market) used to arrive at a fair value measure if it is a market in which the recipient not-for-profit entity is prohibited by a donor-imposed restriction form selling or using the contributed nonfinancial assets.
The ASU should be applied on a retrospective basis and is effective for annual periods beginning after June 15, 2021, and interim periods within annual periods beginning after June 15, 2022. Early adoption is permitted.
Call us at +1 213.873.1700, email us at email@example.com or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2020-09-21.
2020 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Vasquez & Company LLP is a proud member of RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Vasquez & Company LLP can assist you, please call +1 213.873.1700.
Subscribe to receive important updates from our Insights and Resources.